Saturday, April 1, 2023

Hill Country Natural Area


After a wonderful day in Castroville, Texas, I headed north to go meet my kids at Government Canyon State Natural Area. I LOVE the Bandera area, where the cactus and brush of the Lower Rio Grande Valley begins to merge with the splendor of the Texas Hill Country. I remember thinking when I came through here before that one day I would go and explore Bandera, Texas, but alas! There were some big cowboy doings in town, and I knew I couldn't handle the crowds, due to my MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities). But I did have a day to fill before meeting up with my family. What to do? 


I had seen a sign just south of town for the Hill Country State Natural Area, so I went back to check it out. What a beautiful, rustic area! I donned the tennis shoes I sprung for at the Walmart in Castroville, as I had forgotten to bring any hiking shoes. I put them on and away I went. 



When I checked in at the office, I had asked if they had tent/car camping available, and they said that they did, but that all spaces were reserved. But they said I could check in again before I left for the evening, and lo and behold, they had a no-show. How exciting! No Walmart parking lot tonight! It was so peaceful, so delightful! I have vowed to go back again. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

SouthernBlend at Louie's Backyard, SPI, South Padre Island

  After seeing J. Michael Laferty at Tequila Sunset and seeing the band, SouthernBlend, come in to set up, I searched for SouthernBlend on F...