Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Beach Erosion and Trash Deposits During Hurricane Season

 



I haven't been to the beach much lately, so I was saddened to see the erosion that has taken place during this hurricane season. Some of the dunes here have been carved out, and the slope of the beach has changed due sand being swept away. This being my first year here, I don't know if this is typical of every hurricane season or if this particularly busy season has done more damage than usual.

Just as sad, if not more so, are the huge deposits of trash that have been washed up on the beaches. While people here are, for the most part, respectful of the beach, some are thoughtless and leave behind what would be so easy for them to discard appropriately. But most of the trash, I believe, is coming in from far away, as it has been dumped from waves and deposited on the beach. It looks like it has been awhile in the ocean, especially with all the teeth marks in the plastic bottles and metal cans. It makes me sad to think about the unsuspecting marine life that has to deal with it, painfully, I'm sure. 

Here is a pile of trash I picked out of this short strip of beach, where stuff was washed up. It only took me about 10-15 minutes to pick it up and get rid of it. This is the first time I have found so much in such a small stretch of beach. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

SouthernBlend at Louie's Backyard, SPI, South Padre Island

  After seeing J. Michael Laferty at Tequila Sunset and seeing the band, SouthernBlend, come in to set up, I searched for SouthernBlend on F...